Sour red currant mead

Just when I thought I was out… They pulled me back in! I had been pulling myself away a bit from the sour mead adventures, as I mentioned in my sweet traditional mead post but it seems I couldn’t stay away from these sour meads after brewing just one other mead in between.

I was planning on brewing a more typical red currant mead, but as I went to grab my yeast to pitch, I saw 2 vials of sour bugs that needed to be vacated from their containers, as they were getting a touch old.

Sour Red Currant Mead

Ingredients:
Units for 1 gallon
1.52 Lbs Wildflower Honey
12oz Red Currant Jelly
Yeast:
1 Vial of 2nd Generation ECY20
1 Vial of 2nd Generation Brett B
Starting Gravity: 1.052
Final Gravity: Should be 1.000
ABV: Shooting for 6.8%

Process

I added in the honey, and mixed in 4oz of Red Currant Jelly. I aerated well and went to pitch my yeast, which was originally going to be Red Star Montrachet, but as you can see, ended up being some sour bugs instead.

Overnight

There was no activity in the airlock yet, but as both vials were quite old, I may not get anything from them. If there is no activity within 2 days, I’ll go ahead and add my montrachet and brew as normal.

1 Day

The mead took off sometime last night. It was ripping and roaring this morning. I’m guessing it’s the ECY20, as I’ve had very good success with quick sour ferments with that strain. I won’t be surprised if this ferments out in juts a week or so with some good sourness. That’s the power of ECY Bug County. It fermented and soured my brown ale in about 2 weeks. I still let that beer sit a while though. I have a good feeling about this red currant mead.

2 Weeks

The gravity is down to 1.010, and has more brett character than lactic acid character. Once it’s fermented out I’ll throw the rest of the red currant jelly at it and let it ride out.

3.5 Weeks

I added the rest of the jam and the yeast and bacteria began munching away at it the next day. So now we wait and see if more jam will be needed (for color and flavor purposes).

2 Months

The Red Currant Mead is actually pretty much completely cleared without any aid from pectic enzyme. I wasn’t expecting this to be the case, so I’m wondering if the lactic acid bacteria (Lacto / pedio) or brettanomyces have a role in breaking down pectin haze another way.

Continue Reading

Share this content Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinteresttumblrmail
Connect with Hive Mind Mead Facebooktwitterpinterestrssyoutubeinstagram

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *