Brewer / Production Manager
Hive Mind Mead & Brew Co.
Job Title: Brewer / Production Manager Brewer / Production Manager
Role location: Hive Mind Mead & Brew Co, Caldicot, South Wales, NP26 5PR
Starting salary: £26,000 - £28,000 p.a. / depending on experience
Days: Full time Monday - Friday
Closing Date: 1st March 2024
Hive Mind Mead & Brew Co (Previously Wye Valley Meadery) was started in 2018 by brothers Matt and Kit Newell. We began cuckoo brewing in the corner of a larger brewery before taking over that space in 2020, then relocating to a bigger site in 2021 to produce from, and open a space for visitors.
Built on a love for beekeeping, we use honey as a core ingredient in everything we make, whether this is a traditional 14.5% mead, a 3.4% sparkling mead or honey beers. We are looking for a production manager to help us with a growing workload, to increase the quantity, quality and variety of products we make.
We are a small team, so you will be a core member of the company. As such it is important that you are flexible and able to help out in a wide variety of areas of the business.
We want you to take the lead with the production and packaging side of the business. We will train you up on the mead brewing and show you how we do that. When comfortable, we would like you to take the lead with the mead brewing and packaging too.
The role is a mix of “Brewer / Production Manager” as some brews will be contract brewed and packaged, some brews we do in house and contract package, and some brews we brew and package in-house. We need someone to oversee the creation of all of these products.
- Production planning and management
- Brewing beer / mead
- Liaising with contract brewers and packagers
- New product development
- Maintaining SALSA compliance / record keeping
- Brewing ingredients stock control
- Product stock control
- Assisting with the general maintenance of the site and daily running of the premises
- Social media content and ‘live’ demonstrations
- Writing content for website blog and social media
- Keeping the brewing area hygienic, clean and tidy to SALSA standards
- R&D of new products
- Selecting and then liaising with contract packaging companies for canning
- All tasks involved with running and maintaining the taproom bar
- Stock control for taproom bar
Other possible tasks:
- Admin assistance for the business
- Organising and running courses and public facing events
- Web sales packing and logistics assistance during busy periods
- Tasting / quality control of beer / mead
- Routine DIY / Maintenance of the brewery
- Images for blog / social media
- Production related content for email newsletters
- Meadery DJ
What do we want?
- Advanced knowledge of the brewing / winemaking industry
- Self motivated and clear communicator
- Adaptable to schedule changes - flexibility is a must
- Current UK drivers license
- Innovator of new procedures and products to help the business grow
This represents a significant step in our business, and we are really excited about the prospect of expending the team. We’ve got big plans for next year and a long list of products we’d like to launch (if you agree with them!). We also want to diversify into soft drinks and spirits.
If you would like to discuss any of the points / responsibilities in more detail then please do get in touch.
Please send CV and covering letter to: email@example.com